Imagine going to the theatre, arriving in the setting sun, being met with glasses tinkling with ice, champagne corks popping and then a performance by top South African stars in an internationally acclaimed play… Now imagine studying here!
2019 Applications Now Open!
Submit your online application here!
The Theatre On The Bay
Behind a velvet curtain that floats atop the theatre like the physical representation of an invocation to suspend disbelief and give yourself over to a world of imagination made real. Surely this is one of this hemisphere’s most striking theatre facades – we go through the Theatre doors and into the auditorium. Before you, the stage. A stage that has seen countless Cape Town firsts, and even a world premiere or ten; that led the way in South African theatre with farces and comedies, secured Broadway and West End coups and piloted the small-stage, full-cast musical. This stage has played host to legends of South African theatre – actors, actresses, directors, writers and behind-the-scenes magicians of set-design, lighting and sound – and also provided a stepping stone for aspirant professionals who are now household names.
Welcome to the Theatre on the Bay.
Theatre on the Bay is located in the beautiful coastal suburb of Camps Bay. A mere ten minute’s drive from the centre of Cape Town, Camps Bay plays host to a number of exquisite beaches, luxurious hotels, a roaring nightlife, award-winning restaurants, trendy coffee bars, and of course, our theatre. This prime location offers our students a remarkable surrounding to their theatrical training at LAMTA at Theatre on the Bay.
Our LAMTA Facilities
The Theatre on the Bay is home to an intimate 350 seater theatre which will host our 3 annual LAMTA productions. Nestled in the gorgeous coastal suburb of Camps Bay, it’s exquisite beaches, trendy coffee shops, casual and fine dining restaurants provide endless options for students to take a breather between classes. Our LAMTA facilities will be housed on the top floor of the Theatre on the Bay with stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean, 12 Apostles and Table Mountain.
- Over 400 square metres of combined studio space.
- Six studios of various sizes with our main studio boasting an impressive 120 square metres that will also be turned into a studio space for smaller in-house performances.
- All studios will be equipped with mirrors, air conditioning and sprung floors.
- Sound equipment, pianos or keyboards in each of our studios.
- Changing facilities for men and woman with lockers, toilets and showers.
- A Student recreation area for downtime between classes.
- Wifi access throughout the Academy.
- A reception area, administrative offices, a faculty staff room and a boardroom for meetings and one on one feedback sessions with our students.